Tuesday, March 20, 2007

notes from the road...day eighteen

Fake outhouse awesomeness
Mr Bushs abode


Or as many will come to call it: "Day of Marinated Greatness"
This is only a few seconds after Dan pressed publish so it both him and myself having fun with the internets. We had a pretty good day to look foward to as we drove outta Ms. Sipy's town. Dan's father, Gordon, and his wife, Denise, were expecting us for a day and uh half. We just had a minute talk about commas after that sentence. Aren't we just a crazy bunch? Sean started out driving and about half way to Georgia we stopped for a potty break at some gorgeous rest stop. After stretching our legs and other appendages, Sean spoke with Dan 'bout Lee being in a bad mood when asked to finish the drive. So, Dan thinking it would be a great gesture of friendliness, jumped in the drivers seat which caused, what I thought, was one of the most comical arguements between Lee and Dan yet. It involved lots of yelling from the two about eachothers driving. More so of Lee's from Dan's point of view. I'm quite sure what happened next is what set me off in my own paradise of uncalled for happiness. The ordeal ended with Lee giving Dan the most awkwardly mean and unxpected hug from behind I've ever seen in my life. It might have even been the only one I've ever seen actually. Very intense but odd for it was a hug. Maybe he was trying to sufficate him with love I dunno. You crazy Lee.
The drive itself was fine. There was a bumpy moment or two, but it was Dan's first driving moment and windy so anything Lee said was basically out of hate and not truth. Terribly, terribly funny for me however. "Oh! Everything's falling apart now." - Lee after a sharp turn had made a box fall over. Dan's reply: "It was the first turn I have ever taken in this van." Also take note people, the men and women driving the highways of Georgia are a bunch of jerks. With their constant swirving in and out of lanes. Tsk tsk.
The closer we were getting to Mr. Bush's house, the more excited everyone was getting. We took some wrong turns and I listened to a funny call between father and son about what highway goes east/west and not south/north. Soon, we were driving small roads winding 'round what Dan has labeled "waterin' holes" and lookin at houses surrounded by little forests. We arrived at Gordon's self-built cabin of love. I had expected something I built with lincoln logs when I was a kid, but to my amazement it is a truely lovely house, almost jaw dropping. Next, the greetings and the makings of home. Lee was outta the van and into the bathroom before i had tied my shoes. Dinner was a knock-out. Sean's mother, Patty, has a contender it seems. Marinated chicken, char-swiss or swiss-char dan says (it was like a mellower spinach) with bellpeppers and onions, a rice like jasmin but more aromatic, and our choice of red stripe beer or sweet tea. The ignorant ones chose the beer. We chatted a bit then headed out on a path through the Bush's land for a pleasant hike. The Bush family, it seems, own quite a bit of land out there. "A couple acres," Dan says unsurely. I had wanted to walk til I could no longer, but I heard a bunch of cries from a bunch of babies about it getting dark so we turned around and headed back. On the way back I opted for the paths that were not cleared so I ended up with thorns from a briar patch (prolly black berry bushes) all over my pants. Those buggers hurt I tells ya. We chatted and loaded in and out laundry throughout the night. Towards the end of it all, a few of us had a three hour ping-pong session. Sean and Mr. Bush ended up destroying Team Danlex (the defending champions). Afterwards came sleep time for most. Big and little Bush talked and looked over old pictures for some time before hitting the hay. It was a great day for all. Also, Brian tried out his snoring strips unsuccessfully. Too bad for those light sleepers. Til tomorrow kiddos!
luv, alex
ps. hi dad.

No comments: